Energy, Mines and Resources


Winter at the research forest

Personal firewood permits

If you wish to cut firewood for personal use, you need a Forest Resources Permit. Failure to have a permit or carry it with you when cutting or transporting wood could result in a fine.

This permit is free and authorizes you to cut up to 25 m3 (11 cords) of firewood for uses such as heating your home.

Get a permit at your local Compliance Monitoring & Inspection office. Permits are usually issued over the counter at the time of application.

More information:

Softwood lumber and U.S. imposed duties

On April 24, the U.S. government imposed duties on softwood lumber imported into the U.S. from Canada. While further work is required to determine the effect this will have on Yukon’s exports, the Government of Canada’s Global Affairs Softwood lumber website includes up-to-date information and Frequently Asked Questions.

Download the Yukon Forestry HandbookYukon Forestry Handbook

This handbook outlines forest management and planning activities and is intended to assist in understanding how forestry is carried out in Yukon. It includes information useful to forest users, educators and the general public on topics such as forest inventory methods and forest health indicators.

    Contact Us: 

    Mile 918 Alaska Highway
    Box 2703, Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
    Phone: 867.456.3999 / 1.800.661.0408 ext. 3999
    Fax: 867.667.3138